10 Amazing Facts About Hypnosis
I would like to share with you 10 amazing facts about hypnosis…
- Hypnosis being used as a medical tool goes as far back as the Hindus of ancient India, they would take their ill to sleep temples to be cured by hypnotic suggestion, the same in ancient Egypt and Greece.
- A description of hypnosis was found in an Egyptian tomb written on papyrus dating back to 1500 BC. That’s some old papyrus!
- Dr. Sigmund Freud used hypnosis with his patients while developing his theories on psychoanalysis.
- Hypnosis was used in World War I and World War II to treat soldiers with combat neuroses, what we now call PTSD. It was also used to replace anesthetics when supplies were low.
- In 1958, the American Medical Association approved a report on the medical uses of hypnosis.
- The American Psychological Association endorsed hypnosis as a branch of psychology in 1960.
- Rabbi Moshe Feinstein wrote in Iggerot Moshe that after consulting a number of hypnotists, he determined that hypnotism is a legitimate technique and does not involve any kind of magical powers.
- The Roman Catholic Church banned hypnotism until the mid-20th century when, in 1956, Pope Pius XII gave his approval of hypnosis. He stated that the use of hypnosis by health care professionals for diagnosis and treatment is permitted.
- Hypnosis is a very common replacement for Novocaine in the dentist office and is also used by pregnant women to easy the pains of childbirth.
- Hypnosis is fun, safe and relaxing. The best part of being hypnotized if you ask me is that being hypnotized for 15 min feel like you slept for five hours.
You know what…. Here is a bonus fact that I wish was not true…..
- In the past, stage hypnosis has been banned in several countries in the world including Denmark and some states in the USA. Today, the only country to enforce a law against hypnosis is Israel, where it is illegal to perform any kind of hypnosis without a license given to doctors, dentists and psychologists.
Have any questions about hypnosis? Ask in the comments below and I will be sure to answer them for you. Also how many if any of the 10 facts did you already know?